The Colony Texas History
The Tennessee colony became an infamous footnote in Texas history when two white instigators from Mississippi in 1860 were accused of plotting a slave revolt. It was Stephen F. Austin, the father of Moses, who received a contract from the Mexican government in January 1821 to bring three hundred families to Texas to establish the colony. He received four colonial treaties to bring another 1,700 families into the colonies between 1825 and 1831, all of which were concluded in the state of Coahuila, Texas, on the basis of a Mexican law that provided land for immigrants.
The treaty, in force from 1841 to June 30, 1848, required the company to recruit new settlers, survey 16,000 square kilometers of land and grant land rights to the settlers. The Peters colony was unable to complete the surveying work before the contract was signed, as it was a large amount of land and the number of settlers demanding free land was very large.
Despite its problems, the Peters colony is credited with having brought more than two thousand emigrants to Texas and settled more than 800,000 hectares. The Peters colony is also blamed for recruiting the majority of those who received land grants known as "Peters colonists."
The colony as we know it today is also responsible for the Bridges Settlement, which was established in the years before the Republic of Texas, and for Stewart's Creek Rector Camey, also known as "Camey Spur." The original settlers were buried in Bridges Cemetery, which is located on the site of the original settlement of Bridges Creek and Stewart Creek. Besides the bridges over the city and Stewartsville, the colony was also a place to retreat - to historic communities.
We are concentrating on the area southeast of Denton County, which is now the colony, and in particular Stewart's Creek, Bridges Creek and Stewart Creek.
This map shows that a large part of the Peters Colony was located west of the border between 1849 and 1852. It is located in the Stewart's Creek, Bridges Creek and Stewart Creek area of Denton County, Texas, north of Interstate 35.
A settlement called Los Adaes served as the capital of Spanish Texas in what is now a state park in Louisiana. The main area of the Austin Colony was in the area bordered by the border between Texas and Louisiana and the Rio Grande River in Austin County, Texas. Between 1849 and 1852, a small settlement was founded on the banks of Colony Creek in Eastland County, which is called a "small colony." West of Stephens and Eastlands, Colony Creek is probably named after the colony that once covered Stephens, a third of Eastman County.
Due to its original history as part of Frisco, the colony is still in the same area today. Anglo - American settlement named after the Old Three Hundred who came to Texas in 1822 and whose houses were built around 1838 near the Bellville area. The only child of the colony, a daughter of the original settlers, was undoubtedly baptized in a church in Wildwood. Today, about 40,000 people live here and their rich history can still be traced through historical landmarks and street names named after original landowners.
The headquarters of Peters Colony is located in the Bellville area, south of the present-day town of Frisco, Texas. Also known as Placido Round House, it is the oldest building in Texas and the only one of its kind. The headquarters remained open until it was destroyed in a fire during the Hedgecoxe War of 1852, which became known as Texas History.
Located on the Atascosito Road that connected San Antonio with Louisiana, San Felipe de Austin became the second largest city in colonial Texas and remained the headquarters of the government. Other emperors built more colonies throughout Mexico - Texas-owned - but SanFelipe remained the main seat of government until the end of the Mexican War of Independence in 1836-37.
In what became known as the German colony, which contributed much to populating the beautiful mountain country drained by the Perdernales, Llano and San Saba rivers, President Houston appointed Henry F. Fisher and Burchard Miller as the first governors of the already granted Peters colony. The Provisional Government founded what became the Texas Rangers, organized an army, initiated the postal system in Texas, founded the Republic of Texas, and worked to unify the colonies.
Colonial land grants began in the late 18th and early 19th centuries with the arrival of the first settlers in Texas.
To lure settlers to his new colony, Austin advertised and offered incentives for additional land, such as the right to own land that could be used to colonize the colony. When the Colonial Land Office closed in 1835, nearly 1,000 land titles had been issued, and Austin found a loophole that allowed him to expand his colonies. The law aroused resentment among the Austin colonists, who called themselves Tejas, who were then under the jurisdiction of the neighboring state of Coahuila. In 1836, the state changed the law so that the colonists received their subsidies from the states, not from the Peters Colony company.